I’d like you to bear with me as I conduct a brief experiment. Ready? Close your eyes and… ok… just realized you need to keep them open in order to read this. So, with your eyes open, take a slow, deep breath. Hold it for a few seconds. That’s it. Now -yes- slowly exhale. Repeat. Did you feel it? If you humored me and followed my instructions to the letter, that means you’re alive. You’re alive! So what’s the big deal? (you may be asking yourself). Put aside the obvious fact that it beats the alternative and think of all the things being alive enables you to enjoy.
Here are a few things on my list:
• The taste warm oatmeal raisin cookies
• Stimulating intellectual discussions
• Lactic acid build-up the day after a longer-than-usual hike
• Anticipation for a long-awaited encounter
• The smell of freshly cut pine (speaking of which, my kids’ High School is having a fund raiser, so I’m selling garlands and wreaths again this year – sign-up sheet is at my desk today only :)
So, stop taking your life for granted and enjoy it. You can start by heading down to my desk and devouring a delicious donut which Ed Stocker (donut boy) has kindly provided for our consumption today. Then, use that energy to really pour yourself into your chosen profession (aka your job) and make today count.