Happy New Year! A magic time when everything seems possible. A time for fresh beginnings, new perspectives and… resolutions. Ah yes, resolutions, those promises you make while under the influence of the wild optimism permeating the air this time of year. Those self-same utopic promises whose very sanity you question when the euphoria wears-off a few weeks later. If giving-up donuts or running a marathon is your thing this year, more power to you. If, on the other hand you’re like me and have not made any resolutions yet, then let me plant a thought or two in your head. In-fact, here’s ten…
Draft Top Ten Proposed Generic New Year’s Resolutions (in no particular order)
10. Start a conversation with a co-worker you don’t usually have the chance to interact with
9. Eat lunch away from your desk at least one day per-week (preferably off-site)
8. Make one Saturday a month “tourist day” by visiting an attraction in town you’ve never been to (but many out-of-towners have)
7. Give a dollar to the guy holding that cardboard sign at the freeway exit without questioning his motives. He probably needs it
6. Take a weekday off from work in January –to do nothing
5. Volunteer for that special project, even if you don’t think you have the time. You won’t regret it
4. Set your alarm clock to wake-up an hour earlier than everyone else in your household. Wake them up to the smell of bacon and hot coffee (or some other scandalous-smelling treat)
3. Start a new hobby and pour your heart into it with a passion
2. Do that thing you’ve been dreading and get it out of the way already!
1. Smile. Early, often and more. Smile for no apparent reason. Just do it already
Apropos the last item on the list, that first Friday morning donut bite never fails to put a smile on my face. This first donut Friday of the new year, Nanette Zeile delights us with a veritable smorgasbord of delicious torus-shaped pastries. So adopt a new year’s resolution or two (or not) and come-on down. It’s donut time!
P.S. (and a Happy Birthday to my sister Vicki!)