Parents like to brag and boast about their children. It’s as natural as it can be annoying. New parents may not realize this, however, beauty and merit are often in the eye of the beholder. Miguel de Cervantes put it best: “A father may have a child who is ugly and lacking in all the graces, and the love he feels for him puts a blindfold over his eyes so that he does not see his defects but considers them signs of charm and intelligence and recounts them to his friends as if they were clever and witty.” These words ring as true today as they did when they were first used to preface the Don Quijote back in the 16th century. I say this to introduce my youngest son, Rafael. While I hope my 27 year experience as a parent of four has removed some of the subjectivity, I will let you judge for yourself. This Holy Family High School junior’s “spirit week” attires have been a hoot! Although the idea was for students to follow each day’s theme, I don’t think his outfits were exactly what the school’s administrators had in mind this week. How far astray can one student go? I’m glad you asked. Here are the themes and my son’s loose renderings.
- Marvel Monday: Dress as your favorite superhero. Rafael’s Incredible Hulk impression was, well, incredible. Sure it was green (courtesy of an alien suit), but no muscles to speak of. Plus a long haired wig. And, well, a perfect start to the week.
- Couch Potato Tuesday: That’s pajama day, right? Well, not exactly. He wore a fish costume, a medieval knight dress and pajama pants. Why? Well, the fish has been our dog’s Halloween costume and the knight’s dress is his buddy’s (“two of the laziest beings I know”). At least he got the pajama pants right!
- Cowboys vs. Aliens Wednesday: Why do either when you can do both. So, you guessed it, an alien cowboy.
- Throwback Thursday: 1970s means bell bottoms, colorful shirts, platform shoes and afros, right? Yeah, no. How about Atari logo PJ pants and t-shirt instead?
- Class Color Friday: Juniors got white. In my son’s case, Stay Puft white. Yes, you read that right. I suppose a pastry-themed costume is an appropriate way to close-out his week. Donuts being pastries and all.